Friday, September 23, 2005

Mental



Sometimes life is very difficult. Sometimes it is not. Life seems to be just what it is. The perceptions of it are mine. I anticipate a great improvement in my perceptive abilities as soon as I have some coffee.

With assistance from my psychiatrist I am weaning myself off my medication for manic depression/temporal lobe seizures and schizoaffective disorder. I believe that the combination of congnitive-behavioral therapy, electro-convulsive-therapy and psychotropic medication have allowed me to develop skills for coping with my disease. I want to see if the skills I have developed are sufficient by themselves to allow me to manage things without medication. I am into the fourth week of an eleven week process for weaning myself off of the medication. Things are going well.

The trick seems to be to guide my behavior by two principles:
  1. Try to act with love and kindness toward all things (animate and inanimate).
  2. Do a continual inventory of my actions and ask myself, "Is this going to help keep me away from or push me toward the mental hospital?".
Wait a second... There is a third principle - Never eat your boogers in public. This is frowned on by most people and could lead them to think that you are not "quite right".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home